The following is a post that originally appeared on my "passion project" blog, The Feminine Pursuit. Be sure to check it out for more femininity, inclusive feminism, and more musings.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a bit of a workaholic. I just have SO MANY IDEAS and I want to do ALL THE THINGS. I’m driven, I’ve got goals, I want to change the world for the better.
It’s easy for my masculine side to come out. While I’m not competitive – I just really couldn’t care less about competition, honestly – I am very logical. Mathematical, even, although I hated math class. But I’ve found as I’ve been connecting with and listening to my guides, I’ve been able to connect more with my feminine, nurturing self…FOR myself.
Feminine Energy Is All About:
Creation, expression, intuition, welcoming emotions.
Now, before you start in on me about traditional gender roles, pump the breaks. We all have masculine and feminine energy. Having more of one or the other doesn’t mean that we’re one or the other (if that makes sense). It’s just the yin and yang of life. Two sides of the same whole. Just as we’re not “left-brained” or “right-brained” neither are we all feminine or all masculine. But our feminine energy has always been deemed inferior to masculine energy, and I will say, I’ve fallen into this rut. Not out of shame for my feminine self, but because my masculine qualities have kept me safe and moving forward in life during the hard parts. It’s difficult to move away from a solely masculine state to a more balanced state that my spirit and my body crave.
As Melissa Carver writes for The Chopra Center:
The patriarchal world has praised all things male for thousands of years, leaving a scar on your genetic subconscious mind. This is not only damaging to females, but to all living creatures on the planet. If subconsciously society feels that one sexual trait is more dominant than the other, this will flow over into people’s thoughts about everything around them. Mother Nature is much less respected and has suffered greatly from this point of view.
But lately, my guides, who I’m beginning to suspect embrace their feminine side, have been giving me messages that all equate to one principle:
You Are Enough.
Pretty freakin’ cool, huh? These messages help me to remember to play, to take it easy on myself, and to seriously embrace flow – a very feminine quality.
Balance Your Masculine & Feminine Energies
The messages have also prompted me to look into ways that we can balance the masculine and feminine energies in each of us. Here’s what I’ve come up with:
- Get out in nature more – Nature balances and grounds the body, bringing more harmony.
- Own your sensuality – Don’t worry about labels so much as getting in touch with what lights you on fire. Sensuality goes beyond sexuality, though, so indulge it with essential oils, delicious foods, luxurious bedsheets, opening the windows on cooler days, and beyond.
- Laugh more – Laugher opens the body and the heart. It also opens us to the possibility (and probability) of whole-spirit alignment.
- Practice alternate nose breathing – This is one of my favorite exercises. It can help balance the nervous system and gets both sides of the brain engaged.
- Don’t forget to indulge your creativity – It’s easy to just go, go, go until it’s time to collapse on the couch at the end of the day and binge watch your favorite show. Somewhere in there, make room to draw, paint, dance, write, collage, cross-stitch, make soap, whatever. Create something beautiful just for you!
Give it a try and let me know how it goes!